[mod_python] mod_python version compatibilities

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 22:18:41 EST 2008

On 03/03/2008, rahul <Rahul.G.Nair at sun.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>  I am integrating mod_python with Solaris Apache 2.2 package
>  Distribution.
>
>  I would like to know which versions are guaranteed to be compatible.
>
>  ie:
>  would mod_python.3.2.8 be completely compatible with mod_python.3.2.7 ?

Probably, but not guaranteed. BTW, you shouldn't use 3.2.7, it had a
security issue with it.

>  how about mod_python.3.2.X and 3.3.X ?

Not entirely compatible.

>  (From the FAQ I got that the difference between 3.X and 2.X was related
>  to apache versions 1.X and 2.X)

Primarily, but there were other significant changes and feature
additions besides that.

>  To put it another way, If there is a non-compatible interface change,
>  which version number would get bumped up? in A.B.C ?

X.Y.Z to X.Y.Z+n would generally aim to be compatible. X.Y to X.Y+n or
X to X+n probably aren't going to be compatible except for where you
are using possibly some core subset of mod_python functionality.

>  (The reason for asking this is that the versions that are guaranteed to
>  be compatible can be added as an upgrade while the version changes that
>  may cause non-compatible changes may need to be treated differently.)
>
>  (By interface I mean any thing a developer may make use of in mod_python
>  while developing modules in mod_python. Includes configuration
>  directives and APIs)

If you want some semblance of version compatibility, or even
portability for Python web applications, then don't write your web
applications to directly use mod_python. Instead, write your web
application to work against the WSGI specification (www.wsgi.org) for
Python web applications. That way you have a better chance of changes
in the hosting mechanism not causing a problem.

What is you are really trying to do and what web applications are you
wanting to host? Do you specifically need mod_python because of
wanting to hook into internal features of Apache?