[mod_python] little problem with my handler

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Wed Mar 29 04:50:22 EST 2006

>>>     config = req.get_config()
>>>     (autoreload, log) = (int(config.get("PythonAutoReload", 1)),
>>> int(config.get("PythonDebug", 0)))
>>>        try:
>>>         module = apache.import_module('controllers.%s' %
>>> (controller, ),
>>> autoreload=autoreload, log=log)
>>>

>> Hope you don't expect autoreload to work on Python packages. It can be
>> unreliable at best in publically released versions of mod_python and
>> new
>> module importer in future version will not support it. But then there
>> are better ways of doing what you are doing when new importer is
>> available as you will be able to load module by full path.
>>
> so apache.import_module should not be used .. ?

Continue to use apache.import_module(), just accept that at the
moment it has a few issues which will hopefully be cleared up
in mod_python 3.3.

>>>     except ImportError:
>>>         req.log_error('Cannot import controller %s' % (controller, ))
>>>
>>>     object = getattr(module, method)
>>>

>> You don't reraise the ImportError exception or return any other sort
>> of explicit error status. Thus, when module can't be imported, it will
>> still try and access the method from the module, but module variable
>> will not exist and so it will die.
>>
> Yes, this handler is not complete at all (I was just playing a bit
> with)

Oh, forgot that if method doesn't exist, it will die. Better to
explicitly check and return not found error.

   if not hasattr(module, method):
     return apache.HTTP_NOT_FOUND

Another issue related to ImportError is that it doesn't distinguish
between the target file not being found and other sorts of import error
unless you try and match against the exception string looking for "No
module named". This is a short coming of apache.import_module() which
I'll have to check is addressed in the new importer. Ideally it should
return a derived exception of ImportError indicating not found, which is
distinct from other sorts of ImportError. That way you can use that
error as trigger for again returning HTTP not found. Only other way of
doing it at the moment is to check for the existence of the module code
file before it is imported.

>> Your callables must always ensure they return string objects.
>> In mod_python.publisher, it will at least convert non string objects
>> to strings and attempts to treat Unicode strings specially as well.
>>
>> Problem with this code is if bytes were sent and result is None,
>> it will try and write result and die because it isn't a string.
>>

> ok, so req.write(str(result))

Probably better to use:

   if result is not None:
      req.write(str(result))

>> Like mod_python.publisher, you have gone down the path of allowing
>> defaults and similarly don't deal with trailing slashes in a
>> reasonable
>> way. This causes various problems due to the fact that different URLs
>> can be used to address the same resource. The different URLs can
>> have varying numbers of slashes in them, which makes calculating
>> relative URLs to another resource fiddly and error prone.
>>
> Is there a "good" way to handle relative urls ?

Here is some code I have been playing with lately. I posted something
similar on list a while back, but it had one bug in it. Stick this in
a module somewhere and add to your Apache configuration:

   PythonHeaderParserHandler module_name::calculate_base_urls

It is intended to run as an earlier phase than content handler and it
will populate values in req.subprocess_env with absolute and relative
URLs to notional directory for script matched by Apache and directory
that the handler was configured to run for. Uses req.subprocess_env
instead of attributes of req as then can be used in files being
processed through SSI as well as Python handlers.

   <!--#if expr="${SIDEBAR_URL}" -->
   <link media="screen"\
    href="<!--#echo var="HANDLER_BASEURL_REL"
-->styles/three_column.css"\
    type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />'
   <!--#else -->
   <link media="screen"\
    href="<!--#echo var="HANDLER_BASEURL_REL" -->styles/two_column.css"\
    type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />'
   <!--#endif -->
   <link media="print"\
    href="<!--#echo var="HANDLER_BASEURL_REL" -->styles/print_media.css"\
    type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />'

Anyway, here is the actual code. The handler base url calculation will
not work if using mod_python 3.1.X on Win32. Thus, best to ensure you
are using mod_python 3.2.8. Note that for your code, the base url will
probably be above point in URL which names controller. You'll just have
to experiment with it.

import posixpath
import os

from mod_python import apache

def calculate_base_urls(req):

     # First normalise req.uri when using it as it will
     # preserve repeated slashes in it, whereas such
     # slashes are removed from req.path_info. We must
     # use normalisation function from posixpath and not
     # os.path as Apache always gaurantees to use POSIX
     # format and using os.path version will change
     # slashes to Win32 backslash.

     normalised_uri = posixpath.normpath(req.uri)

     # When normalising the path, it will throw away the
     # trailing slash, thus we need to put it back if it
     # appeared in the original.

     if normalised_uri:
         if normalised_uri != '/' and req.uri[-1] == '/':
             normalised_uri = normalised_uri + '/'

     # The req.path_info attribute was already normalised
     # above so can simply determine script path by
     # subtracting its length from normalised uri. Note
     # that the script path in this situation can be a
     # directory. In that situation it will have a
     # trailing slash to distinguish it from case whereby
     # script path identifies an actual file.

     if req.path_info:
         script_url = normalised_uri[:-len(req.path_info)]
     else:
         script_url = normalised_uri

     # A base url can now be calculated for the virtual
     # directory the script is contained in.

     script_baseurl_abs = posixpath.dirname(script_url)

     path = normalised_uri[len(script_baseurl_abs):]
     step = path.count('/') - 1

     if step:
         script_baseurl_rel = step * '../'
     else:
         script_baseurl_rel = './'

     # A base url can also be calculated which will
     # correspond to where the Python*Handler directive
     # was defined. This code will only work if
     # Python*Handler directive appeared in a Directory
     # directive and no wildcards were used in the path.
     # That is, it will not work if Python*Handler
     # directive appeared inside of a VirtualHost,
     # Location or Files directive. This is because
     # req.hlist.directory will not be set to a useable
     # value in the latter cases.

     if req.hlist.directory and os.path.isabs(req.hlist.directory):
         length = len(req.filename)
         length -= len(req.hlist.directory) - 1
         length += len(req.path_info or '')

         handler_baseurl_abs = normalised_uri[:-length] + '/'

     else:
         handler_baseurl_abs = '/'

     path = normalised_uri[len(handler_baseurl_abs):]
     step = path.count('/')

     if step:
         handler_baseurl_rel = step * '../'
     else:
         handler_baseurl_rel = './'

     # Populate the table of environment variables with
     # values. The environment variables table is used as
     # opposed to note tables or request object, as the
     # environment variables table is more easily useable
     # from SSI and other Apache modules.

     req.subprocess_env['SCRIPT_URL'] = script_url
     req.subprocess_env['SCRIPT_BASEURL_ABS'] = script_baseurl_abs
     req.subprocess_env['SCRIPT_BASEURL_REL'] = script_baseurl_rel
     req.subprocess_env['HANDLER_BASEURL_ABS'] = handler_baseurl_abs
     req.subprocess_env['HANDLER_BASEURL_REL'] = handler_baseurl_rel

     return apache.OK