[mod_python] PYC download prompt

Jim Gallacher jpg at jgassociates.ca
Fri Jan 20 13:31:07 EST 2006

Sean Jamieson wrote:
> Jim Gallacher wrote:
>
>> Sean Jamieson wrote:

>>> Puiblisher, and yes, I realized that the .pyc being sent was a result
>>> of MultiViews later on. My main issue now, is that my codebase which
>>> runs fine on my laptop, does not run on my development server; both
>>> are running the same software.
>>>
>>> I've been trying to find some key difference in apache's
>>> configuration that may cause it, but alas, no matter how much I copy
>>> it doesn't work.
>>>
>>> This is rather serious, as I have a client waiting to see this thing,
>>> this afternoon.
>>

>> Is the server publicly accessible? If so I can see what I get from
>> here. If you don't want the URL on the mailing list you can email me
>> privately.
>>
>> Jim
>

> currently there is nothing to get, now, when one tries to go to the URL,
> the browser does nothing, literally. i.e. if you're on the directory
> index page, and you click one of the .py files, or a directory with an
> index.py, it does nothing, if I open a new tab, and paste the URL, hit
> enter or click 'go', it does nothing, nothing loads, it still says
> (Untitled) as if it went nowhere.
>
> and this seems to only happen when I try to import something from my
> codebase,
> a plain .py file that simply has the following defined, works:
>
> def index( req ):
>    return req.filename
>
> I just don't get what's going on here, it doesn't make the least bit of
> sense.

I'll agree with you there.

I'm sure this is stating the obvious but is there anything in the error
log? Have you tried logging a message to the error log?
(req.log_error("It's alive!"))

Have you taken a look at the page source for the page returned? I've
been tricked by this before where I haven't set the content_type and
returned some string representation of an object which the browser
interprets as an html tag. eg <thingy.main.thing object at 0xb7d2670c>.

Jim