[SPAM] [mod_python] [SPAM] Is mod_python 3.1 good in commercial blogging/CMS programming?

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Mon Nov 7 17:54:45 EST 2005

Anthony L. wrote:

> Hi Jorey, thanks for the reply. Since I am doing this project on my  own
> with no support, I must go with a web host. I am hoping to find  one
> that supports Apache 2, Python 2.3, and mod_python 3. I expect to  get a
> dedicated server, and I'm learning about UML (User Mode Linux)  hosting
> options. My own shared host (like most) still uses Apache 1.3  with no
> upgrade plans. Why wouldn't you be happy with a pre- configured
> mod_python setup? I compiled and installed mod_python  myself, and the
> only configuring I did was in setting up the module  directive and
> Publisher handler in httpd.conf. Is there more I can  (and should) do?

I don't think there is any kind of standardized mod_python configuration
that has turned out to be one-size-fits-all. I rely on tweaking
httpd.conf a lot (and restarting apache), which is not an option in most
shared hosting environments. Running your own server (real or virtual)
is a different case entirely. You control what's installed, so what your
provider supports is irrelevant.

> I just  read
> that hosts/admins do not like persistent long-running processes.  I
> assume this has to do with server load and stability and not security?

All admins expect apache to be a long running process. And, again, if
you have a dedicated server, you're the admin, so you can do what you
want. But you should be aware that mod_python doesn't necessarily create
a single persistent interpreter that's shared by all applications. There
may be a few interpreters running at a time, with their own set of
cached modules, and they will die and be replaced after a while (I use
the apache prefork MPM, where this is the norm, I'm not sure how much
things change under a threaded MPM, which also has issues).

> I have quickly found myself to be very productive with Python, more  so
> than with any other language I've ever used. I would say that it's
> right for me. I know it will do what I need it to do. So my only real
> concerns now are its acceptability in a hosted environment. Had I my
> own server, I'd happily use it. Thanks again.

If you are comfortable administering your own server, look for a colo or
virtual server account. Then you can do whatever you want. I doubt if
you'll have any luck in a shared hosting environment, although there are
some that give each user their own instance of apache and proxy it
behind a main apache web server. No matter what you do, it's well worth
digging an old machine out of the trash and installing Linux on it as a
learning platform for both administration and development. A modest
machine will easily support apache and mod_python.