[mod_python] XP Authentication problems over Apache and WebDAV

Kevin Roberts kevin.roberts at nunatak.com.au
Mon Apr 4 01:56:30 EDT 2005

Hi All,

I'm interested to know if there is a solution to my problem, when trying to
access WEBDAV folders on my Apache 1.3 server when using XP (SP2) Webfolders
as the client.

There is a well known problem with XP (SP2) when authenticating over
Webfolders as: "When Microsoft Windows XP attempts to connect to a webdav
server, it insanely refuses to just send the username and password. It
attempts to send either "domainlusername" or username at domain.
( a good description of the problem and fix for simple Basic authentication
can be found at:
http://www.luluware.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=38

I am using mod_python for my 'Basic' authentication as I want to communicate
with my Server to find individual permissions on files and folders which are
contained within the twistd python server that I have running on the box.
mod_python communication with my server is essential for my application and
works well with ALL other clients, only falling over for Webfolders and XP
(SP2).

I have tried numerous fixes including:
http://www.luluware.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=38
http://www.hss.caltech.edu/help/unix/admin/web/apache-webdav-xp
(these two should give a good description of the problem)
and even desperately : - /
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;841215
reistary hacking on the client machine.

But to no avail...
I assume that the above fixes are 'specifically' for simple 'Basic
authentication' and will not work with mod_python as mod_python takes over
control of Apaches layered request model ? (best guess)

But then again it could well be that my server is running...
Debian (Sarge - testing)
apache         1.3.33-3
libapache-mod-dav 1.0.3-9
libapache-mod-python 2.7.10-3

Has anybody come across the problem before ?
Is there a simple way within my python authentication script to rewirte the
headers that XP sends to stip off the domainname part of the request?

Thanks

Kevin Roberts
Nunatak Systems Pty Ltd
http://www.nunatak.com.au/

PARTIAL APACHE CONFIGURATION
----

<VirtualHost>
DAVLockDB /opt/nunatak/software/web/smeagol/DAVLock
        AllowOverride Options
        Options +Indexes
        AddHandler mod_python .py
        PythonAuthenHandler gane_auth