[mod_python] Any support for on-time Initialization?

Daniel West dwmp at opti.cgi.net
Mon Feb 2 21:00:04 EST 2004

At 09:41 PM 2/2/2004 -0500, you wrote:

>On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Daniel West wrote:
>
> > At 02:33 PM 2/2/2004 -0500, you wrote:
> >
> > >Like Daniel said, going with a threaded MPM is not for the faint of
> > >heart, as MySQLdb doesn't like sharing connections very much.
> >
> > Actually, database connections can successfully be shared among multiple
> > threads with the standard Python Queue module plus some support
> > code.  However, mod_python seems to have problems in general with
> > multi-threaded environments.
>
>Just to be fair - mod_python does not have problems with multi-threaded
>environments, none that I am aware of at least. It is used quite a bit in
>mutlithreaded environments, not the least of which is Windows, where
>multi-threaded is the only option.
>
>What does have a problem with multi-threaded environment is one of the
>commonly used MySQL Python modules, which doesn't really have much to do
>with mod_python itself.

Grisha,

I posted a problem I ran into a couple weeks ago to this list (subject:
3.1.2b and worker_mpm).  Seems the output filter under load was mixing up
requests.  When making a request I would get part of my request plus part
of another request.  When I changed to a prefork model, that problem went
away.  The only response I got to my message was from Perry who claims "it
went to pieces under stress testing" and "I saw some
wicked nasty recursion errors" in reference to the worker_mpm and
mod_python.  Since I didn't get any response from you or anyone else in the
know about these things, I was left to assume that this was a weak area for
mod_python which would receive attention in due time.  I even offered my
assistance for testing.  I don't know how else to describe the problem I
experienced except for a threading issue.

Perhaps there's something there that you're not aware of.  I, for one,
would love to be able to use worker_mpm again.

-Dan