RES: [mod_python] Re: problem installing mod_python-3.1.3 with Py thon 2.4

AJDENSTONE at BKB.com.br AJDENSTONE at BKB.com.br
Fri Dec 3 08:23:50 EST 2004

If you want the MSVC 7.1 get it here:

http://www.vrplumber.com/programming/mstoolkit/

Regards,

Alexandre Jara Denstone
* ajdenstone at bkb.com.br

-----Mensagem original-----
De: Paul Moore [mailto:pf_moore at yahoo.co.uk]
Enviada em: quinta-feira, 2 de dezembro de 2004 19:53
Para: mod_python at modpython.org
Assunto: [mod_python] Re: problem installing mod_python-3.1.3 with Python
2.4

David Fraser <davidf at sjsoft.com> writes:

> The Windows installer for mod Python 3.1.3 is only for Python 2.3 -
> you
> can tell that because it's called mod_python-3.1.3.win32-py2.3.exe

<http://apache.is.co.za/dist/httpd/modpython/win/3.1.3/mod_python-3.1.3.win3
2-py2.3.exe>

> In general Python extensions written in C have to be compiled for the
> version of Python they are used with, so a new binary would be needed
> for 2.4
>
> Anyone is welcome to try build this, I plan to myself when I get a
> chance. But simply using the existing installer won't work...

The biggest difficulty I hit was that Python 2.4 (the standard
binary) is built with MSVC 7.1, so extensions also have to be built with
that version (or with mingw, which can build MSVC-7.1 compatible binaries).

As I don't have MSVC 7.1, and can't work out how to build Apache, or at
least enough of it to compile mod_python, with mingw, I'm stuck.

I would *really* appreciate a Python 2.4 binary of mod_python...

Paul.

PS Actually, I'm not 100% clear how binary compatibility works here.
   The very strong message on python-dev is that extensions *must* be
   built to use a compatible CRT. But mod_python bridges the Python
   and Apache binaries, and Python uses the MSVC 7.1 CRT, where
   (AFAIK) Apache uses the MSVC 6 CRT. So isn't there an
   incompatibility on one side or the other whatever compiler is used
   to build mod_python?
--
Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level. -- Quentin
Crisp

Esta mensagem, incluindo seus anexos, pode conter informacao confidencial
e/ou privilegiada. Se voce recebeu este e-mail por engano, nao utilize,
copie ou divulgue as informacoes nele contidas. E, por favor, avise
imediatamente o remetente, respondendo ao e-mail, e em seguida apague-o.
Este e-mail possui conteudo informativo e nao transacional. Caso necessite
de atendimento imediato, recomendamos utilizar um dos canais disponiveis:
Internet Banking <http://www.bankboston.com.br>  , BankBoston por telefone
<http://www.bankboston.com.br/bpt>  ou agencia/representante de atendimento
de sua conveniencia. Agradecemos sua colaboracao.
This message, including its attachments, may contain confidential and/or
privileged information. If you received this email by mistake, do not use,
copy or disseminate any information herein contained. Please notify us
immediately by replying to the sender and then delete it. This email is for
information purposes only, not for transactions. In case you need immediate
assistance, please use one of the following channels: Internet Banking
<http://www.bankboston.com.br>  ,  BankBoston by phone
<http://www.bankboston.com.br/bpt>  or branch/relationship manager at your
convenience. Thank you for your cooperation.