[mod_python] mod_python mysteriously stopped working under Windows

Robert Leftwich robert at leftwich.info
Fri Oct 3 11:04:46 EST 2003

I have this bizarre problem that is driving me insane. I had a working
mod_python setup yesterday (W2000, Apache 2.0.47, python 2.3, mod_python
3.1.0a - all vanilla). I needed to combine 2 projects so I set out to
create a new project directory structure and ran out of disk space on
the c-drive while doing something unrelated to mod_python/apache/etc. I
cleaned up a few directories (again unrelated) and ever since then I
cannot get even the simplest mod_python setup to work. I've tried
uninstalling/reinstalling everything, even reverting to python
2.2.3/mod_python3.0.3 all to no avail. No matter what I try (including
explicitly setting PYTHONHOME=C:\Python23 and PYTHONPATH=C:\Python23\lib
\site-packages;C:\Python23\lib (among other combinations) I get an error
in the log file saying "[error] make_obcallback: could not import
mod_python.apache.". Note that python 2.2.3/mod_python3.0.3 just does
not work at all, no messages anywhere - it is as if it is totally
ignored. Note also that straight python cgi (e.g. pyblosxom) is working
fine. At the moment I'm using the httpd.conf settings and mptest.py
straight from the Testing section of the manual.

Can anyone shed light on this problem ?

Robert