[mod_python] mp 3.0.1 + Python 2.3: child pid nnnnn exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

ganapathy murali krishnan gmurali at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Feb 4 18:23:56 EST 2003

I have a Apache 2.0.44 + mp 3.0.1 (Python 2.3a1) installed.
If I use a simple PythonHandler directive as specified in the
mod_python tutorial things work fine. However when I start using
PythonInitHandler and PythonTransHandler directives the apache child
processes start dying with a Signal 11. By inserting "print" statements
I have learnt the following.

The PythonInitHandler is being called and successfully completes.
The PythonTransHandler is being called and sucessfully completes.
Just before the "return apache.OK", it (transhandler) calls

req.add_handler("PythonHandler", "handlers.dispatch")

The file $SERVERROOT/handlers/dispatch.py is readable by all.
The first line of the handler function in dispatch.py never
gets executed!

The browser tries the same URL about 6 times before giving up with a
"Document contains no data" error. On the server side, the error_log of
apache, contains

----------
[Tue Feb 04 17:46:05 2003] [notice] mod_python: (Re)importing module
'handlers.translate'
[Tue Feb 04 17:46:06 2003] [notice] child pid 17086 exit signal
Segmentation fault (11)

about once for each time the browser requests for the page.

The main apache process doesnt seem to be affected, in that after all
this happens, it continues to wait to service other requests. So in
effect html, php and cgi's all work fine but .py files dont.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

- Murali