[mod_python] Promoting Python as web application development language

vio vmilitaru at sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 23 18:22:19 EST 2002

Greetings to Apache Board Members,

Apoligies to Fabian Fagerholm for short-cutting his efforts with this message.
But I just wanted to cut the bull and go straight to the point: we have this
great apache module called mod_python, thanks to Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy,
suffering from a big lack of exposure. We strongly believe this great piece
of technology (which is the marriage of apache + python) deserves a place
alongside mod_perl and mod_ssl 'on the main apache site'. Understanbably,
mod_python is not an Apache Foundation project (rather it's Grisha's project).
Yet, there is such a symbiotic relationship between apache and mod_python,
what would it take to have a link on the main apache side to the 'python'
web-app alternative, in the Apache Projects section of the
LEFT SIDE NAVIGATION ?

   Apache Projects
     HTTP Server
     APR
     Jakarta
     Perl
     Python    <-- something like this, linking to www.mod_python.org,
     PHP           or to 'python.apache.org' which would redirect to
     TCL           www.mod_python.org (or something along those lines)
     XML
     Conferences
     Foundation

In conclusion, I believe this is a great opportunity for greater integration
between the main apache movement, and the independent mod_python effort.
In my view, Apache needs a strong python alternative alongside Perl and such,
while mod_python gains greater exposure and 'official blessing' from the Apache
Software Foundation.

Please send your reactions, comments, suggestions on this topic directly to the
mod_python mailing list at 'mod_python at modpython.org'.
If this is not the appropriate forum to discuss this topic, please redirect
my message as appropriate.

Thank You kindly for your time,
Vio

PS. Included 2 recent messages from the mod_python list outlining the need for
a direct link between apache main site and mod_python: