[mod_python] Apaches and Pythons and Tigers, oh my!

cindy mason grasshopperwisdom at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 10 09:50:47 EDT 2008

I would like to address this email because not just 4 weeks ago
I was in the same situation.  Although luckily I did not touch
2.3  The installs went ok.  BUt I was never able to use Django,
since it depended on mysql, and the mysqldb failed.

The problems I was having were the same.  I never got the answers
as to where/what  path vars needed to be set, any init files, etc.
so that the ensemble of python, mysql, and django would orchestrate
together.

2.5 has the advantage of having sqlite in it.   If I was going to
do it again, starting with Django, I'd have tried to find someone
who had gone through installing on OSX before.   It seems such a
let down to think this is such a great language, and then not
be able to get it installed.

I understand that on linix boxes, this is not a problem.

Since OSX is the best machine environment I have ever used in my
life, and I have installed dozens of other languages, tools, sw,
on this and other platforms, I would have to conclude that the
install of the Django setup on OSX requires in-depth sys admin
knowledge that is not in the documentation...  hitting a landmine
like you did is unacceptable to me as a user.

This kind of situation costs our country and each of us HUGE
amounts of wasted time.   Viruses are bad enough.  But the time
it takes to recover from such problems is wasted time that we
could have been doing something productive.

That's my two cents.

Remember, you can always fall back on perl.   That will still work.
:)

Cindy

ps.
I do plan to try python in the future, but only if someone else
who knows how to do it, and has done it, sets the system up.
Its a MAJOR process on OSX apparently.