[mod_python] Apaches and Pythons and Tigers, oh my!

Ben Davies omarshariffdontlikeit at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 20:04:03 EST 2008

"Removing the OS supplied Python is a really bad idea and you may now
have potentially broken parts of your operating system that depend on
it."

Wah-hay! And here me thinking I knew what I was doing! Been a while since
I've hosed a system. At least this time I didn't get that awful sinking
feeling after pressing delete. Actually, thats more of a worry... :)

"I always recommend not installing a newer version of Python on MacOS X
Tiger unless you know what you are doing. :-)"

I don't think there is a better description of my recent actions!

"After you have fixed your OS, personally I would suggest that since
you are new to Python not to bother with mod_python initially."

Although my description of my actions might suggest this, I feel pretty
comfortable (maybe inaccurately so, given the consequences of my actions
over the last 48 hours!) that I might be alright with mod_python: the
different phases of processing in Apache, OOP and the concept of frameworks
etc; I am quite comfortable with: in fact the technical features of
mod_python are what drew me to python in the first place. PHP5 has some
glaring deficiencies in its OOP features that have driven me here
(difficulty in accessing the low-level HTTP sub-system, lack of late-static
binding and non-existent namespacing for 3), and I've found myself seeking
lower/tighter integration with apache over the past 6 months or so. I figure
that a lot of pythons features I understand, and that it should be merely
new syntax that I need to learn (ha! get ready for a deluge of help
requests!)

"learn one of higher level frameworks such as Django or
Pylons. These can be run with their own internal Python web servers."

Like I say, concepts like MVC, ORM etc; I understand, having written my own
PHP5 frameworks before. I'm really interested in REST and I feel that PHP's
reluctance to provide closer integration with apache really puts it in a
bind. I don't want compare features here, as I think I may already be
preaching to the choir, but clean access to, for example, apache's filtering
mechanism is really the direction I want to be heading in.

It's taken me a long time to really get comfortable with Apache, and now I
feel that it is seriously one of the greatest pieces of software ever
written (2nd only to Portal :) ). I want to dive in, get my feet wet and
give mod_python a whirl!

If I have buggered my OSX install, then I think that the features of
mod_python are enough to warrant a re-install, but I appreciate the reality
check: the reality is though I need to move to mod_python ASAP. PHP just
doesn't cut it anymore.

Right, time to sign off. Apologies in advance, Budvar and portal make Ben a
sleepy boy.

Cheers,

Ben