[mod_python] could not import mod_python.apache ?

Seth Ladd seth at picklematrix.net
Tue Oct 7 22:41:29 EST 2003

Hello,

I'm very excited to try out the new 3.1 alpha.  I removed the
mod_python RPM from RH9, did a configure, make, make install.  I then
added:

LoadModule python_module /usr/lib/httpd/modules/mod_python.so

<Directory /home/*/public_html>
     SetHandler mod_python
     PythonHandler mod_python.publisher
</Directory>

And restarted.

My simple script:

def index(req):
     return "We are in index()"

Which made my error_log blow up with a lot of these messages:

[Wed Oct 08 03:25:50 2003] [error] make_obcallback: could not import
mod_python.
apache.!
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/mod_python/apache.py", line
784, in ?
     mpm_query = _apache.mpm_query
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'mpm_query'

And it killed apache.  Then I tried starting it back up (httpd
restart), and I get this error, and it finishes with "Configuration
Failed!"

[Wed Oct 08 03:25:54 2003] [notice] mod_python: Creating 150 session
mutexes bas
ed on 150 max processes and 0 max threads.
[Wed Oct 08 03:25:54 2003] [error] (28)No space left on device:
mod_python: Fail
ed to create global mutex 125 of 150 (/tmp/mpmtx12242125).

Any ideas what is going on?  I think I followed the installation
instructions and tutorial to every step.  I'm running RH9 brand new,
very bare install.  All standard RPMs, nothing from source (except
this, of course).  And I removed the mod_python RPM before starting
this.

Any tips or hints would be greatly appreciated.  Did I miss a step?

Thanks!
Seth