[mod_python] Paramiko connection to SFTP web-based client

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 23:31:40 EST 2010

On 12 March 2010 14:50, Mark Brown <Mark.Brown at greenskycredit.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I've looked everywhere for a sftp web client, and did find one written as a java applet. Unfortunately, I want pure html and not an embedded applet in a webpage.
>
> Can you expand some more on what you mean by this:
>
> "You then though have to learn WSGI or use one
> of the WSGI frameworks/toolkits. You still couldn't use traditional
> session layers though and would need to maintain your own data
> structure with active pool of connections in memory."

For details about WSGI, read:

http://www.wsgi.org/wsgi/

For the same reasons as in mod_python, you can't store stuff like
network connections in session databases if using WSGI based solutions
if session database is not in memory.

In short WSGI is just another way of hosting Python web applications
which supports many hosting implementations and not just one like
mod_python. So, not bound to the one solution.

> Also, I have read some stuff about twisted and cherrypy. Would either of these help me out?

Twisted supports running WSGI applications within it. CherryPy
framework uses WSGI interface and so can host on its own WSGI server,
on top of Twisted or on top of any other WSGI hosting mechanism.

Twisted may be a good (but complicated) choice, because it has various
components for dealing with communicating with Internet services,
perhaps including SFTP.

> Sorry if I am being naive, I am by no means an expert in apache or python.

Then you have a lot of reading and learning to do. :-)