[mod_python] LoadModule python_module libexec/mod_python.so causes apache failure to launch

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 23:55:28 EDT 2009

2009/8/29 Philippe Antoniotti <pantoniotti at gmail.com>:
> Hi Graham,
>
> Thanks for the answer.
>
> I got mod_python source from modpython.org and I am on Leopard so the
> problem could be right there ;-)

If you mean tar ball, as I said that will not work, including not even
normally compiling and installing.

You need to check out source code from subversion repository and use it.

  svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/quetzalcoatl/mod_python/trunk
mod_python-trunk

> I am using apache on MAMP and the "apache_error_log" in the MAMP/logs folder
> does not show any errors when the apache server refuses to start (I lauch it
> from the MAMP interface and it just does not start).

Did you run:

  /usr/sbin/apachectl -t

like I suggested?

This will cause any problems to show on stdout rather than being lost
in error logs or go missing altogether.

> FYI
> 1- mod_python.so was not installed and I had to copy it manually as well as
> change permissions to -rw-rw-r-- (but I was not able the generate the @ all
> the other files have at the end : -rw-rw-r--@, how do you do that ? could
> not find it in the chmod definition)
> 2- Apache starts fine when I remove the line "LoadModule python_module
> modules/mod_python.so"

What do you need mod_python for? Have you consider using mod_wsgi if
only wanting to host a WSGI application?

Graham