[mod_python] Re: mod_python issua

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 20:32:03 EDT 2008

On 23/03/2008, Jeff Stuart <jeff.m.stuart at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I got your email off of the bug database for mod_python.  You reported a
> bug a few years ago about a version mismatch issue when mod_python starts
> up, and I was wondering if there is any resolution to that bug.
>
>  The errors that show up in my apache error log on start up are as follows:
>
> [Sat Mar 22 20:07:26 2008] [error] python_init: Python version mismatch,
> expected '2.5', found '2.5.2'.
> [Sat Mar 22 20:07:26 2008] [error] python_init: Python executable found
> 'C:\\Program Files\\Apache Software
> Foundation\\Apache2.2\\bin\\httpd.exe'.
>  [Sat Mar 22 20:07:26 2008] [error] python_init: Python path being used
> 'C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\python25.zip;C:\\Program
> Files\\Python25\\Lib;C:\\Program
> Files\\Python25\\DLLs;C:\\Program
> Files\\Python25\\Lib\\lib-tk;;C:\\Program Files\\Apache
> Software Foundation\\Apache2.2\\bin'.
>
> Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, this mismatch in patchlevel revision is not a problem, the bug
report even says this is this case with the suggested change being to
ignore the patchlevel revision number so people don't think it is a
problem.

There would only be a problem if there was a different in major or
minor version number. The only exception to this is where UNIX was
being used and due to a poor Python installation there was no shared
library for Python available and so mod_python.so included a static
version of library which wouldn't change if the main Python
installation was updated.

See also sections 'ModPython Version Mismatch' and 'Python Patch Level
Mismatch' of:

  http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/InstallationIssues

This is from mod_wsgi documentation, but same issues apply.