[mod_python] Local Web Server

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 05:11:55 EST 2008

On 30/01/2008, MCL Systems <mcl.office at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I am looking for a local lightweight web server, that I can use to run
> python apps locally via my USB pen drive.
>
> I am running winxp sp2.
>
> The programs are coded for mod_python and I am using scite portable and
> portable python for my development..
>
> I am very limited in my abilities to install programs successfully, but I
> can still achieve programming results, to my satisfaction with python.
>
> My programs query text/csv files and display the results in a browser.
>
> So I imagine I will start server 'x', which will point to a document root
> and then I can access my files as  http://127.1.0.0 or whatever /mycode.py
>
> So is there a binary I can download, already configured to run locally and
> with mod_python support and all I have to do is tell it where document root
> is.
>
> I like a simple life.

Frankly, you may be better off converting your Python web application
to use WSGI and run it on top of the web server from Paste. This would
probably be simpler than trying to get Apache/mod_python to host off a
USB drive.

Anyway, I am not a Windows person so my opinion doesn't really matter.
Thus I'll leave it up to the Windows experts to give you a real
answer. :-)