[mod_python] compile mod_python on iSeries (AS/400)

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 18:27:58 EST 2008

On 06/02/2008, Denes L <denes1951 at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> > If using CGI now, personally I would suggest you convert your Python
> > CGI application to WSGI interface (www.wsgi.org) instead.
>
> Funny that you mention mod_wsgi since I have been looking into that too, but
> the problem is that it requires Python to have been compiled with support
> for threading, which seems to be unavailable on the iseries port:
> "import thread" fails with "ImportError: No module named thread"

Technically speaking, if wanting only embedded mode of mod_wsgi under
a prefork Apache, the code could have been made to be compilable
without threading support in Python, but maintaining it would have
been a pain and not worth it given that would be quite rare that non
threaded Python would be used. As such didn't support that
configuration and reluctant to do so.

Also be aware that although mod_python may be able to be compiled
against non threaded Python, it may not actually work. This is because
that code path wouldn't have actually been compile tested or run
tested for quite a long time. Thus if it works in the end, probably
more luck than anything else.

Anyway, if your Python doesn't even have threads, you probably can't
even use Paste web server if you did port to WSGI. It may be that CGI
is your only practical option.