[mod_python] XSLT and mod_python

Richard Lewis richardlewis at fastmail.co.uk
Wed May 23 12:16:04 EDT 2007

On Wednesday 23 May 2007 16:50:59 Martijn Moeling wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently looking into XSLT and to build support for it in my
> mod_python based Browser OS/Desktop, I prefer to use standards and I
> prefer Native compiled/compilable stuff.
>
> Suit4 is not my idea of a solution.
>
> I came across mod_xslt2 for apache has anyone used this in conjunction
> with MP?

I've used libxslt with mod_python.

There are raw Python bindings[1] for libxslt/libxml but they have a few
drawbacks: bad API; and memory leaks.

Therefore I use lxml[2] which implements Fredrik Lundh[3]'s ElementTree[4]
interface (which is now part of the Python standard library, as of 2.5[5]) as
a wrapper around libxml/libxslt. Its a very nice way to work with XML/XSLT in
Python as its /very/ fast and it creates nice Pythonic data structures as a
result of your XSLT transformations which you can then go on to manipulate in
code (or just write to a string or file-like object). The only problem I've
had with it is, I /think/, that its causing crashing of the mod_python's
Python interpreter when you use <xsl:import />. As I said, I /think/ this is
what's causing these crashes, but I'm not sure yet.

I used to work on a Cocoon[6]-like project[7] using mod_python and lxml. My
co-developer has now taken the reigns of this project as is working with
WSGI[8] rather than specifically mod_python. </shameless-plug> ;-)

Cheers,
Richard

[1] http://xmlsoft.org/python.html
[2] http://codespeak.net/lxml/