[mod_python] Singleton Object

Tom Wells drshade at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 02:22:55 EST 2007

On Dec 14, 2007 4:17 AM, Graham Dumpleton <graham.dumpleton at gmail.com>
wrote:

> For WSGI on IIS see:
>
>  http://code.google.com/p/isapi-wsgi/
>
> That way you should be able to use the sam code base.

A huge piece of my module needs to be purely an authentication piece,
protecting either a set of jsp/servlet pages on apache, or aspx on IIS, thus
I only actually hook into AuthenHandler and/or AuthzHandler - I have no
requirement to actually handle dynamically creating pages etc (which I
assume is the typical WSGI usage scenario). On the IIS side I was planning
to look at pywin32 and build the same sort of functionality using the ISAPI
basic interface (HttpFilterProc and HttpExtensionProc hooks). The IIS
interfaces are far weaker than the apache side (especially when trying to
introduce a new Authentication Type) - but fortunately my requirements for
IIS support are simpler, and I plan to merely hijack the "Basic
Authentication" tick-box ;)

I do like the idea of WSGI, I just feel it's going to be more pain than what
it's worth for my particular scenario - plus I like the fact that mod_python
comes out the box with my target platforms (ubuntu & suse) and so far seems
really simple once you understand the apache behemoth.

One quick question - AuthenHandler vs. AuthzHandler? Docs are very light,
and seem to say they do a similar job - please could you elaborate?

Thanks again,
Tom