[mod_python] Wiki for mod_python. Contributors welcome.

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Mon Nov 27 17:03:01 EST 2006

Sean Davis wrote ..
> On Monday 27 November 2006 16:03, Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> > Database backed session classes have been discussed before on the mailing
> > list with examples posted. Use the search box on the mod_python web site
> > search for the past posts. For example:
> >
> >   http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/2006-June/021433.html
> >
> > There is no need for you to embed your session class within the mod_python
> > Session.py code file. Keep it separate. Database backed session classes
> are
> > unlikely to be included in mod_python as that then imposes a dependency
> on
> > a third party package which isn't something we really want to have to
> have
> > because of maintenance/support issues.
>
> Graham,
>
> This is a good sentiment.  But, does it make some sense to have a spot
> on the
> wiki for code devoted to things like this?  Session handling can be
> approached many ways, so it might be useful to have code examples hosted
> more
> formally than simply via the email archive.  Also, one could envision a
> generic handlers section, a persistent objects section, etc.  All of these
> have been discussed relatively recently; wouldn't it be nice to say "put
> in
> on the wiki" or "refer to the wiki" when these come up?
>
> I'm asking off-list just because I imagine that you have an opinion on
> this
> already, but I wasn't sure.

I am replying back on the mailing list as I think the answer is important
enough that everyone knows it.

That is that I am more than happy to see people contribute to the community
based mod_python wiki, and that means anyone. Personally I am quite flat out as
it is and taking on additional responsibility of trying to look after that wiki
or contribute to it is just more than I can handle. My lack of time at present is
already delaying the next version of mod_python as it is.

So, for anyone who doesn't know, there is a mod_python wiki available at:

  http://wiki.apache.org/mod_python/

Anyone can create an account and contribute to this wiki. It is not restricted
to just those who do code development on mod_python itself. I would love to see
a few people at least take it on board to try and develop the wiki further than
it is and collect material from the mailing lists and elsewhere and add it to
the wiki so there is a central repository for such contributed stuff.

At the moment the only person doing stuff with the wiki is Deron Meranda and I
am sure he wouldn't mind some help. If people do start adding stuff, then I'd
have no problem with occasionally casting an eye over it and commenting on or
fixing anything which I think might be wrong. When it comes though to setting
up the structure and getting stuff into it though, that is where I don't have time.