[mod_python] Just finished installing mod_python, and boy are my arms tired

Jim Gallacher jpg at jgassociates.ca
Fri Nov 3 15:30:00 EST 2006

Cavanagh, Sean (Sean) wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I just wanted to mention a couple of un-documented hiccups that tripped
> me up during compile.
>
> 1.	Seems that mod_python needs an up-to-date flex; I had to upgrade
> to  2.5.33  (For the record, this is in the readme file, but not the
> html docs)

Incorrect. Flex is listed in the index, and the flex requirement is
detailed in the docs.
http://www.modpython.org/live/current/doc-html/inst-configure.html#l2h-12

As explained in the docs, you generally don't need flex unless you
modify with the psp_parser.l file. Unless you are using mod_python <
3.2, configure will issue a warning about the wrong flex, but will still
proceed.

> 2.	Seems that mod_python needs an _old_ libtools; I had to
> downgrade from 1.5.20 to 1.5.6.

I don't know what platform you are on, but I have 1.5.22 on my Ubuntu
system and see no problems. None the less, please share what you found.
Include:

OS
apache version (and mpm)
python version
mod_python version

> Needless to say, there weren't any helpful error messages; this was a
> couple hours of head banging and googling.  In the end, I found the
> libtool dependency on this helpful forum:
> http://www.webhostingtalk.pl/index.php?s=b60bac83029b4d20890b3d0fe4ceb99
> 4&showtopic=4720&pid=31248&st=0&#entry31248
>
> And for the record, no, I don't speak Polish...
>
> Anyway, to whom might I send some modifications to the
> Doc/modpython2.tex file?  I don't have subversion running, and I'm not
> inclined to do so just for a small doc update.

If it's something small, you can send it to me, send it to the
mod_python list or to the dev mailing list. If it's a larger patch we
prefer that a JIRA issue be created so we don't loose it in email
archive vortex.

If you are sending a patch for anything other than the trunk development
branch, please make sure the mod_python version you are patching is obvious.

Jim