[mod_python] Mod_python.publisher behavior - sending .py file to browser not processing it in pyton

Geoff Skerrett geoff at teammsa.com
Wed May 3 23:59:39 EDT 2006

Just getting started with modpython. And i am not sure if I understand the
documentation, specifically section 6.1.2 Publishing algorithm so I hope
someone can set me straight.

My setup is on a laptop
Apache/2.0.54 (Win32) mod_python/3.2.8 Python/2.4.1 Server

Using mod_python.publisher with the following setup in my http.conf file;
<Directory "C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\app/">
    SetHandler mod_python
    AddHandler mod_python .py
    AddHandler mod_python .pyw
    AddHandler mod_python .pyc
    PythonHandler mod_python.publisher
    PythonDebug On
</Directory>

As I interpret the documentation; entering the following URL
http://localhost/app/

the system should look for a file index.py
and then within this a function def index()
and then it will be processed the results.
Unfortunate when I enter this, the file index.py is actually sent to the
browser as a text file an is not being processed by mod_python.

In the same index.py file, I have a function called "login()".  If I enter
the URL;
http://localhost/app/login

The function is proessed and results from login a transmitted to the browser
without a problem.

So my question is ...

What setting am I missing that the index/index isn't processed
and
How do I prevent my *.py files from being "served" to the browser.

Thanks for you patience.

Geoff Skerrett
Murray, Skerrett & Associates, Jonas Business Software
Phn: 902-461-0079 ~ Fax:902-461-9559 ~ Mob: 516-220-9723