[mod_python] Seg Fault when using session object

Emlyn Jones emlynj at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 10:58:22 EDT 2006

On 6/26/06, Emlyn Jones <emlynj at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 26 Jun 2006 01:13, Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> > Emlyn Jones wrote ..
> >
> > > Hello,
> > > I've got this simple piece of mod_python/psp; If I uncomment the
> > > foo=session line I get a seg fault. Has anyone seen this before and can
> > > direct me towards finding out what the problem is please?
> > > I'm running Apache/2.0.50, mod_python 3.2.8 and Python 2.4.
> > > I've confirmed that it isn't the known expat and mysql/php problems.
> > >
> > > <%
> > > #foo = session
> > > done_login = False
> > > if(form.has_key("username")):
> > > username = form["username"]
> > > password = form["password"]
> > > req.write("%s" % (username,))
> > > %>
> >
> > What PSP does is that if it sees that the variable "session" is referenced
> > from inside of PSP code, then it will do what is necessary to create the
> > session, or if the session already exists, it will retrieve it from the
> > session database.
> >
> > Two problems could be occurring here. The first is that if this is
> > occurring on the very first time the session needs to be created, that the
> > session database it tries to use is corrupt in some way and therefore
> > crashing. The second is that the session already exists in the database,
> > but something was stored in the session object that probably shouldn't have
> > and when the session object is being restored, it is triggering some code
> > (possibly C code) which is then subsequently crashing.
> >
> > First thing you need to do is get out of PSP and write a simple handler
> > that creates a session object just to validate that sessions work and that
> > the session database is okay. Use a handler such as:
> >
> > from mod_python import Session
> > from mod_python import apache
> >
> > def handler(req):
> > session = Session.Session(req)
> > session['data'] = 1
> > session.save()
> > req.content_type = 'text/plain'
> > req.write('hello')
> > return apache .OK
> >
> > If this dies, then there is possibly a problem with the session
> > database, or your Python DBM modules are stuffed somehow. You need to
> > work out what type of session database is being used. It will probably
> > be DBM database and it will be stored in "/tmp" as "/tmp/mp_sess.dbm". I
> > am guessing you aren't on Win32 as in that case an in memory session
> > database is being used and it would be almost impossible to crash. Which
> > is might be is dictated by the MPM which Apache was configured with.
> >
> > Assuming it is DBM, check who owns the database in "/tmp". The owner
> > should match the user that Apache runs as. If you have multiple versions
> > of Apache running and they run as different users, you could have problems
> > because of that. If it is the wrong user and you only have one Apache
> > instance, you could try deleting the database and restarting Apache.
> [...]
Hello,
I'm not sure if I'm heading in the right direction here.
I can see from a python shell that the dbm module is using the
"Berkeley DB" library (dbm.library).
lsof -p <http pid> | grep dbm shows that it is linked to libgdbm.so.3.0.0.
I'm a little confused but could this be the root of my problems?

Cheers,
Emlyn.

/usr/lib/libgdbm.so.3.0.0