[mod_python] Problem with configure

Sérgio Durigan Júnior sergiosdj at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 20:05:46 EDT 2006

Hi ;-)

Well, I know it's a known problem, and I even found some answers
(which didn't apply to my problem) in the internet. I'm running
Slackware 10.2 here, with python 2.4 and Apache 2.0 installed, and I'm
trying to install mod_python here for 2 hours without success... The
error occurs when I'm running ./configure. The output is below:

---------------------
neo at pegasus mod_python-3.2.8 $ ./configure
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...

checking what libraries Python was linked with... -lpython2.4
-lpthread -ldl  -lutil   -lm
checking linker flags used to link Python...
checking where Python include files are... -I/usr/include/python2.4
./configure: line 3427: syntax error near unexpected token `('
./configure: line 3427: `  as_lineno_3=`(expr $as_lineno_1 + 1) 2>/dev/null`'
neo at pegasus mod_python-3.2.8 $

Ok, with this error in my hand, I took a look at Google, I found this message:

http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/2006-February/020468.html

Its answer took me to:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON-122

I made the modifications listed in the link above (in my configure.in
file), but it didn't work. So, I opened my configure file and removed
the parenthesis which were causing the errors. After some time
(because there were a lot of them to remove!), I tried again. Didn't
work too. So, as I ran out of ideas, I decided to ask here :-)

Ahh, by the way, I'm running bash 3.1.11(2)-release. Dunno if it
helps, but anyway... ;-)

Thanks!

Sérgio.