[mod_python] ValueError with Flash 8 FileReference.upload(url)

Jim Gallacher jpg at jgassociates.ca
Thu Apr 6 10:17:36 EDT 2006

Harold J. Ship wrote:
> Thanks for your help. I posted a bug on Macromedia's site.
>
> However, even if the request from the Flash FileReference.update()
> method isn't correct, wouldn't it make sense to handle it?

This is an interesting question. I'm not a fan of putting hacks in
software product A to deal with bugs in software product B. I realize
the world is not perfect and at times this may be necessary, but I think
it just makes our code base more difficult to maintain as well
increasing the chance of introducing new bugs of our own. For example,
how should a malformed request from a non-Flash client be handled? It
may be more appropriate to raise an exception rather than ignore the
error, so how does one decide for any given request?

> The Flash
> player is ubiquitous, and even if Macromedia fixes this, there will be
> millions of older versions that will continue to send the request that
> way. This effectively means that one can't use Flash to upload files to
> a mod_python based server.

This is not completely true, as one can always subclass FieldStorage to
deal with special cases. Isn't this one of the things that draws us all
to python in the first place? :)

Jim