[mod_python] mod_python + MySQLdb + Apache strange behavoir

Earle Ady earle.ady at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 01:06:51 EDT 2005

Graham,

I managed to self-diagnose and repair this problem.  However, I
turned up another one, although unrelated.

As for the MySQLdb inconsistencies, varying error messages, etc.  The
problem was actually quite simple!  I was using
MySQLdb.cursors.DictCursor as a cursor type and only importing MySQLdb.

I added a simple import for MySQLdb.cursors, and all of my problems
went away.   This is something I never would have guessed from the
behavioir and errors of mod_python and MySQLdb linkage, but a lot of
persistence and a truckload of tenacity managed to dig it up.

It's bizarre that it would work at all, given the fix.   If anyone
else is having these problems, double check to see what type of
cursor they are using in MySQLdb, and if they are doing the import
specifically.  It should have been more clear as using the standard
cursor never had a problem but I obviously overlooked this for awhile.

On a side note, my exact same setup on a Linux machine, when moved to
an OSX machine (same versions of everything...), craps out when
trying to use Sessions when acquiring a mutex lock.  Is this a known
problem?

Best,
earle.