R: [mod_python] Serius problem in mod_python-3.2.2b

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Wed Oct 19 06:38:21 EDT 2005

On 19/10/2005, at 8:04 PM, Manera, Villiam wrote:

> Is not a import problem, I have now tried the workaround from Graham
> Dumpleton:
>
> name = os.path.splitext(os.path.split(__file__)[1])[0]  instead
> __name__ and it work fine.
>
> I use __name__ inside my appplications not for import scope, but for
> check autentication of module and so on...
>
> I this will be the new behaviour I may fix all my programs (375) that
> used  __name__
>
> May I start to fix my programs
> with  os.path.splitext(os.path.split(__file__)[1])[0]  instead
> __name__  ?

You shouldn't really use module name for authentication in this way. The
reason is that with mod_python.publisher, you could have index.py
present in two different directories. In 3.2 these will truly be two
distinct modules albeit they still use the same basename of "index". If
your authentication is based purely on module name (basename), you
wouldn't be able to define different authorisation credentials for these
two different files. You would perhaps be better off basing any
authentication mechanism on URL or physical file location.

Graham