[mod_python] SOAP / Web Services handler

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Mon Jun 13 22:38:04 EDT 2005

Gregory Bond wrote ..
> I need to make some python code available via Web Services.  We already
> have mod_python running.
>
> Is there some common / standard / recommended Web Services framework for
> mod_python?
>
> I've seen Clarens (untouched for 2+ years, so looks kinda dead to me)
> and ZSI (neat).  Any others?

If you are wanting to provide WSDL/document style web services, I believe
the only real choice unless you want to hand craft everything, is to use ZSI.

For RPC style SOAP services there is SOAPpy, also a part of the pywebsvcs
project on SourceForge where you can find ZSI. Overall though, if you want
to do RPC style SOAP services, you would be better of just using XML-RPC
as RPC with SOAP has various limitations. You can see how XML-RPC and
SOAP compare at:

  http://www.xmlrpc.com/discuss/msgReader$2086?mode=topic

Whereas ZSI is a little toolkit which can be used within something bigger,
Clarens appears to be a bigger framework which you would have to buy
(not money) into to make serious use of it.