[mod_python] Is it possible to not reuse interpreters?

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Sun Jun 12 21:26:23 EDT 2005

On 13/06/2005, at 11:14 AM, Bart wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> Apologies if this has been asked and answered before,
> but is there any way to make apache/mod_python
> temporarily *not* reuse the same interpreter?

No.

> Google wasn't too helpful on the matter other
> than providing the reasons.
>
> While I'm clear on why this is generally good, while
> coding it's quite annoying that I have to restart
> apache just to not get it to randomly fail on code
> that's in reality any your-guess-is-as-good-as-mine
> old version, but practically guaranteed not to be
> the current one.

What you want is automayic module reloading.

Have a look at the automatic module reloading mechanism implicit
within the apache.import_module() function. See documentation at:

   http://www.modpython.org/live/current/doc-html/pyapi-apmeth.html

This same method is used by mod_python to load a handler. In that
case auto reloading is controlled by the PythonAutoReload directive.

   http://www.modpython.org/live/current/doc-html/dir-other-par.html

The current auto reloading mechanism has a number of shortcomings
and will not always work, but depending on the complexity of your
code it may be sufficient.