[mod_python] mod_python and real app

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Wed Jun 8 06:12:19 EDT 2005

On 08/06/2005, at 6:56 PM, eoghan wrote:

> Hello
> Im new to python and really new to mod_python. Im coming from a php
> background. Id like to know if anyone has any examples of real world
> app built for the web using mod_python... something pretty simple that
> the code is available for... i dont want it to use, but to learn how
> it used really.
> Im probably diving in at the deep end, but i find it a lot easier to
> see whats going on when i can get my hands dirty :)

There are various different usage styles for mod_python dependent on
what supplied package or third party add-ons you use. For example,
in mod_python itself there is the basic content handlers, PSP and
mod_python.publisher. Another major style is servlet based for which
and example is the third party mpservlets package. Beyond that you
get into the area of third party templating systems that can be used
in conjunction with mod_python.

What I would suggest is get hold of a copy of mpservlets from:

   http://home.comcast.net/~d.popowich/mpservlets/

and look through the examples it supplies in its "tutorial" directory.
That will give you an idea of a servlet based system. I think these
are the same as what is available at:

   http://lnx1.blue-fox.com/~dpopowich/mpstutorial/

Also get hold of Vampire from:

   http://www.dscpl.com.au/projects/vampire

It also has a range of examples covering basic handlers, publisher, PSP,
Cheetah, HTMLTemplate etc. Its examples are also online but not nicely
linked off a common page at the moment although that will start to
change.
Thus you might just look through the code for those examples initially,
but if you want to know the URL for some specific examples let me know
and I'll tell you where to go for it.