[mod_python] Point of frustration/disappointment

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 29 09:47:58 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 09:34 -0700, Paul Dale wrote:
> >In order to make mod_python work partway, I had to install
> >python2-devel-2.2.2 on a production server (you should never
> >have to install -devel packages on a production system)
> >

> >Finally, in order to even get mod_python to work, I had to
> >edit src/Makefile (added -DEAPI)
> >
> >It just seems plain messy to me, especially in a production
> >environment.  It's ok to have to do this in a development
> >only environment.
> >

> Jim,
>  I am also new to mod_python and have similar been stymied in my
> attempts to find thorough documentation.
>
> However, wearing my system administrator's hat, I have to make a comment
> here. The things you are expressing frustration about  sound like they
> are repercussions of your attempts to compile a module on a production
> system. To really fit with the system administration methodology  you've
> been expressing here you should be compiling and testing on a
> development system, with the proper libraries installed. Once you've got
> it where you want it then you can move only the module over without ever
> needing to install -devel packages on a production system.

Hi Paul,

No, I am only experiencing the problems on a development system (which
closely mirrors the production system, but has more flexibility).  The
issue isn't related to what host, as you've should have seen from the
URLs I've posted, multiple people have had similar issues on various
hosts.  The production system runs fine using cgi, attempts to migrate
it to mod_python have just failed miserably.

-Jim P.