[mod_python] Point of frustration/disappointment

Paul Dale pd at traxon.com
Fri Jul 29 12:34:24 EDT 2005

>In order to make mod_python work partway, I had to install
>python2-devel-2.2.2 on a production server (you should never
>have to install -devel packages on a production system)
>

>Finally, in order to even get mod_python to work, I had to
>edit src/Makefile (added -DEAPI)
>
>It just seems plain messy to me, especially in a production
>environment.  It's ok to have to do this in a development
>only environment.

Jim,
 I am also new to mod_python and have similar been stymied in my
attempts to find thorough documentation.

However, wearing my system administrator's hat, I have to make a comment
here. The things you are expressing frustration about  sound like they
are repercussions of your attempts to compile a module on a production
system. To really fit with the system administration methodology  you've
been expressing here you should be compiling and testing on a
development system, with the proper libraries installed. Once you've got
it where you want it then you can move only the module over without ever
needing to install -devel packages on a production system.

Paul