[mod_python] Point of frustration/disappointment

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Thu Jul 28 18:07:02 EDT 2005

On 29/07/2005, at 4:56 AM, Jim Popovitch wrote:

I tried to correct entry 2.21 in the FAQ, it's just plain wrong, but was
unable to make any changes.  I search for a way to edit the FAQ, and ran
across the PSF(?), (another deadend?)  All I want to do is use
mod_python, so I don't think the PSF is a place for me to be involved.

Ignore comments about PSF, don't put a passwd, it will work anyway.

Back to my rant... Why does mod_python ignore Python2?  Here's a similar
email from 2002 that went unanswered:
http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/2002-May/012624.html

I have updated the FAQ entry to:

  Note that this doesn't work for older mod_python-2.X versions
  where --with-python option is used to refer to a source directory.
  For older mod_python versions, try:

    PYTHON_BIN=/usr/local/bin/python2.4 ./configure

Don't guarantee that this will work. Worked it out by spending about
one minute looking at "configure" source code and seeing that this
environment variable existed. Running configure in this way seemed
to do the correct thing, but didn't then compile it.

Sometimes one just has to read the source code to work these things out.

Is there some low-key politics involved?

No, as people have pointed out, you are using an older version and we
are all busy people and don't have all the answers in our head. :-(