[mod_python] Configuring mod_python via reverse proxy

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Wed Dec 14 17:36:39 EST 2005

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> Jim Gallacher wrote:
>
>>This maybe too obvious but is AllowOverride perhapas set to None such
>>that your .htaccess file is not getting processed?
>>
>>Jim
>>

> OK.  I feel like a complete retard.  In copying over the VirtualHost
> settings for the instance of apache running from $HOME, I accidentally
> copied the wrong AllowOverride line.  It was set to None.  Thus, when I
> accessed mod_python from the main apache server running on port 80, it
> worked since it was allowing the override.  When I proxied to the
> instance on port 8080, it failed, as the overrides were not allowed.
>
> Thanks for the blinding insight.

This is why I suggested using your custom configuration file instead of
.htaccess, and still recommend it if you're running your own instance of
apache.

It's up to you to decide if it's safe to share the directory between
multiple instances of apache. You risk an information leak by leaving
source code in public_html.