[mod_python] process privileges

Jon-Pierre Gentil jgentil at sebistar.net
Fri Aug 26 14:08:47 EDT 2005

On Friday 26 August 2005 11:31 am, Khormaee, Cy wrote:

> I'm currently trying to run pdflatex on a machine with RedHat Linux
> Corporate 3.0 by calling the os.system() command from mod python.  I am
> able to complete this operation from the command line python
> interpreter, but ill I get back when trying to run the command from
> apache/mod python all I receive is '256' and no changes are made to the
> file system.  All of the folders involved are set for full access(unix
> privilege 777).  My current guess is that this issue has something to
> do with apache's priority, but haven't been able to confirm this
> suspicion yet.  If you can provide any hints on how to debug this it
> would be much appreciated.

If you could show us some code it would help.  Having a different priority
should not affect filesystem access, but running in apache is a lot
different than running manually in the interpreter, since you would run
as a completely different user and most likely not have a home directory.

  Jon-Pierre Gentil               PGP: 0x7E1CBA17
  jabber: jgentil at sebistar.net    web: www.sebistar.net
  "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance."