[mod_python] SSL Socket Problem

Huzaifa Tapal huzaifa at hostway.com
Wed Apr 20 14:56:29 EDT 2005

Hello All,

I am having a problem with making SSL socket connections in my
mod_python application running with python 2.3.5.  The error I keep
getting back is "TypeError: ssl() argument 1 must be _socket.socket, not
_socketobject".  What is odd is that if I restart the apache2 web
server, the error goes away and all the calls return back with a
message.  However, after about 20 or so minutes we start getting this
error almost instantaneously without any kind of message going out at all.

Here is the full traceback:

         con.endheaders()
        File "/usr/lib/python2.3/httplib.py", line 715, in endheaders
         self._send_output()
        File "/usr/lib/python2.3/httplib.py", line 600, in _send_output
         self.send(msg)
        File "/usr/lib/python2.3/httplib.py", line 567, in send
         self.connect()
        File "/usr/lib/python2.3/httplib.py", line 988, in connect
         ssl = socket.ssl(sock, self.key_file, self.cert_file)
        File "/usr/lib/python2.3/socket.py", line 73, in ssl
         return _realssl(sock, keyfile, certfile)
     TypeError: ssl() argument 1 must be _socket.socket, not _socketobject

I have the same application running on another machine with python 2.3.4
and I can't replicate it in there.  Do you guys know of any known issues
with sockets and ssl with python 2.3.5?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hozi