[mod_python] Lost

Dan Nelson dan.nelson at transcom.com.au
Mon Apr 18 00:30:30 EDT 2005

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction, point out some good
documentation.

A bit of background:  I'm a C/C++ programmer, primarily with embedded
applications.  I've recently been playing with Python and have writen a
basic server application that interfaces to a database.  I'd like to also
access that database via a web application, and Python seems to be the
logical choice.  I don't know very much about web applications other than
some very basic html.

I'm a bit lost and the documentation seems to be a bit scant.  The doco
probably assumes that the reader has a basic knowledge that I don't have.
What I'm probably looking for is something like "Building Web Apps With
Python", but I don't think it exists.  Maybe most Python web application
people have started with Perl and know the concepts, and then transfer them
to Python.  I'm jumping in cold.

For example, there is a 'req' object that the handler sees.  But I can't
find any attributes or methods for it, other than a very few that are in the
documentation.  I did find an Apache request object, and it does seem to
share many of the attributes, but I had to find which ones by trial and
error.  From some of the things I've read, I've seen req.send_http_header(),
and req.form.submit, but I don't know how to get to there if I don't even
have any doco on the req object.

Hope the above makes sense.

Thanks

Dan