[mod_python] mod_python bake-off?

Daniel Popowich dpopowich at comcast.net
Fri Sep 3 17:14:25 EDT 2004

> There are a lot of different application frameworks that are popping up
> that use mod_python.  That's a good thing!  Would anyone be interested
> in having a "bake-off" to show the capabilities of each framework?  I'm
> thinking that if we could come up with an easy but non-trivial
> application, various people could implement it using their favorite
> framework.  The results would not only be a nice comparison of different
> frameworks, but would provide some nice examples for newbies.

I have no objection to a bake-off and would be happy to write the
mpservlet version.

I agree with those that have said (or said something similar to):

Each developer should be provided with:

  1. Business logic as python classes
  2. Mock-up HTML
  3. css files ??
  4. javascript files ??

As for tables vs css layout...shouldn't really matter, but please,
let's not degenerate into a religious war over this.  That's way-off
topic!

As for datastore backends: this is tricky.  Some frameworks make
assumptions, some don't.  Personally, I'd like to see the datastore
buried under the hood of the business logic; this way we're all on
the same page, as it were.  Can't the provided business logic do some
pure python thing: pickle, Berkeley DB?

Daniel Popowich