[mod_python] mod_python and mysql

Robert Geller robert at worksofmagic.com
Fri Oct 29 18:34:47 EDT 2004

Hello all --

I am having trouble with mod_python 3.1.3 and MySQLdb 1.1.6 (recommended
by the Andy, the author of MySQL-db).
I'm just trying to get this to work, and have a test page setup, with a
mysql query and fetchall statement as follows:

from mod_python import apache
import MySQLdb

def handler(req):
        req.content_type = "text/html"
        req.write("Hello World!")

        db = MySQLdb.connect('localhost', 'root', 'tux5098nyu',
db='imagehost')
        c = db.cursor()
        c.execute("select * from users;")
        results = c.fetchall()

        return apache.OK

Now, I can't tell if the query is executing. I get NO errors from Mod
Python (debugging is on), but it only displays "Hello world!" in the
browser, as opposed to the results of the query rom my c.fetchall()
statement. I have tried it in the Python interactive shell, and it works
perfectly. I just can't tell why it won't display the query here.

I have also tried it in a separate function, as follows:

def mysql(req):

        db = MySQLdb.connect('localhost', 'root', 'tux5098nyu',
db='imagehost')
        c = db.cursor()
        c.execute("select * from users;")
        results = c.fetchall()