[mod_python] General performance of the different handlers

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Tue May 4 15:19:00 EST 2004

SAiello at Jentoo.com wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>I am trying to write a Web Email IMAP client using mod_python. Currently I
>have email box navigation and email listing working. I am using mod_python
>publisher. At this point I am doing some stress testing on my code, checking
>before I go any further, that the code does not cause large amounts of system
>load, etc. From the results, I believe I started off thinking to grandiose. I
>created a a library of functions, one function does all my HTML rendering.
>Well all this lovely code, puts a huge load on the CPU. So I am thinking I
>need to scale things back a bit, make things run more simply. Under the docs,
>Section 1.1 Performance, I see the mod_python handler doing more requests per
>sec than mod_python publisher. My basic question is which mod_python should I
>use for the best system response and cause the least amount of system load ?
>Where does PSP handler fit in, in regards to performance ?
>
>Thanks for any of your thoughts or ideas,
>  Steven Aiello

Hi Steven

We have a similar approach where we do lots of HTML rendering.
What we have found is that there are usually a few parts of the code
that are really slow and need to be optimized.
So profile (we used the profiling that comes with psyco which can help
anyway) and speed up those bits.
PSP would be fast though if it is that kind of templating you need ...
others may be able to answer that part of the question better

David