[mod_python] compiling

Michael mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu
Wed Mar 3 15:06:55 EST 2004

I'm recompiling Apache, Python, and mod_python to try to figure out why
mod_python + xmlrpclib doesn't work for me. I'm trying to use a custom
compled version of Python compiled without thread support to see if that
helps. I also compiled Apache without PHP this time.

I noticed that during 'make install' I had problems because the script
was attempting to use an old copy of Python. I was surprised because I'd
told it where to find the copy of Python I'd custom compiled. Maybe this
is an installation bug? I had to manually kill the symlink to the old
copy of Python and point it to the new copy so that installation could
work properly.

Now when I try to start Apache I get this error:

Cannot load /usr/local/apache/libexec/mod_python.so into server:
/usr/local/apache/libexec/mod_python.so: undefined symbol: openpty
/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started

Any idea what's wrong? Thanks.