[mod_python] Unicode support?

Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy grisha at modpython.org
Thu Jun 24 21:54:27 EDT 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Jon-Pierre Gentil wrote:

>> and turn off UTF-8, unless you really need unicode support then that
>> won't help ;-)
>
> It's not, though.  It's done in mod_python, in the Publisher, line 143
> of publisher.py.  :)  If I use my own handler it works great, I can
> output UTF-8 or UTF-16 or any other character set.  For some reason the
> publisher tries to convert it to ascii.

I'm somewhat unicode illeterate, so this is probably why I never ran into
any problems with this.

But here is an idea - str() simply calls the object's __str__ method - so
why not subclass unicode and implement a __str__ that would produce UTF?

Something like this:

class MyUnicode(unicode):

     def __str__(self):
         return self.encode('utf-8')

def unicode(req):

     req.content_type = 'text/html; charset=UTF-8'

     return MyUnicode(u"Hello\u1234World!")

Grisha