[mod_python] the dreaded python_handler: make_obcallback returned no obCallBack!

mike bayer mike_mp at zzzcomputing.com
Thu Jul 29 17:17:03 EDT 2004

hi there -

I am installing mod_python 2.7.10 with python 2.3.4 and apache 1.3.28 on a
OS X/darwin machine.   I am using the apache 1.3 series here because the
environment i eventually want to run on is a host I share with my friends
who are unlikely to allow me to run apache 2.0, and i want my development
environment to be the same.  I would imagine a whole lot of people are in
the same "apache 1.3 only" boat.

anyway, I noticed via Google there were a lot of people two years ago
getting this message when they do the initial "hello world" test and it is
pretty much due to python's initial import of the apache module failing.
I took a brief tour of the python embedding and extending docs which led
me to add the line:

PyErr_Print();

right on line 476 of mod_python.c where it prints the "could not import
mod_python.apache" message in the logs (wouldnt be a bad thing to add as
part of "PythonDebug On").  so running again I got this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/mod_python/apache.py", line
49, in ?
    import time
ImportError: Failure linking new module: : dyld: /usr/sbin/httpd Undefined
symbols:
/usr/local/lib/python2.3/lib-dynload/time.so undefined reference to
_PyArg_Parse expected to be defined in the executable
/usr/local/lib/python2.3/lib-dynload/time.so undefined reference to
_PyArg_ParseTuple expected to be defined in the executable
/usr/local/lib/python2.3/lib-dynload/time.so undefined reference to
_PyDict_GetItemString expected to be defined in the executable
/usr/local/lib/python2.3/lib-dynload/time.so undefined refer
make_obcallback(): could not import mod_python.apache.
make_obcallback(): could not call init.
[Thu Jul 29 15:25:08 2004] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] python_handler:
make_obcallback returned no obCallBack!

unfortunately my knowledge of dynamic linking is quite shallow.  so, with
this stack trace in hand, can someone tell me, what is the problem ???

- mike