[mod_python] query_vars and form_vars

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Tue Jul 6 14:28:45 EDT 2004

Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

> This behaviour is part of mod_python.util.FieldStorage class, which is a
> little convenience tool. Protocol compliance is of little or no
> relevance here, since you're free not to use it and process input data
> using your own code or, for example using Python standard library
> FieldStorage.
>
> Also, if I remember it correctly, most relevant RFC's tend to focus on
> the behaviour of the browser (e.g. the user should be warned before a
> POST if you hit reload, but not for GET), and there is nothing there
> about how the form variables should appear to an application.
>
> As to why it processes GET and POST together and GET wins - that's a
> matter of personal preference. I find it convenient to be able to
> override variables in a form by appending them to the URL, and I think
> most user-friendly applications should behave this way, because IMHO
> ability to tinker with the URL is a good thing.
>
> Some people believe that this should not be allowed because it enables a
> user to alter hidden POST variables, which would otherwise be difficult,
> but this seems to me like a silly argument. There are much more certain
> ways of ensuring that hidden variables have not been modified, e.g. an
> MD5 or SHA signature passed along.

It all seems harmless enough. If a programmer decides to use this
method, it will be necessary to check if the result is a string or a
list and act accordingly.

If the need arises to distinguish between the query parts and the POST
data, that's easy enough with cgi.parse_qs(req.args) or
util.parse_qs(req.args). Is there a similar function that returns only
POST data?

For applications not designed this way, what is the worst that could
happen? String operations would break when a list is returned, like

  name = name.upper()

If there is an exploit, it's no different than any other user input
validation issue, regardless of the method used (POST or GET).