[mod_python] Browser saves script output to file instead

Jim binarybrain at phreaker.net
Fri Jan 23 10:30:00 EST 2004

Mod_Python'ers,

I am having a problem with mod_python. Basically whats happening is when
I attempt to load a script in the web browser rather then execute the
script and display the output in the browser, I am prompted to save the
script. If you save the script you will find the output you would have
expected to be displayed in the browser. In other words, it doesn't save
the script, it parses the script and saves the output.

I followed the directions in the html documentation.

	   <Directory /var/www/test/python>
                AddHandler python-program .py
                #PythonHandler mod_python.publisher
                PythonHandler mptest
                PythonDebug On
        </Directory>

note: When I try the above with the publisher uncommented I get a 404.

I have tried the below. I have tried with the application type set to
x-python and x-httpd.py and I have tried with no AddType at all. Neither
make a difference.

AddType appliction/x-httpd-py .py
AddType appliction/x-python .py

The error.log for apache looks like this. The below line is displayed
over and over again.

[Tue Jan 27 21:26:56 2004] [notice] mod_python: (Re)importing module
'mptest'

The script mptest is exactly as it is explained in the online docs.

This is the output from starting python2.3 in the command line and
trying the same import from mptest. I don't know if this should be
expected or not.

>>> from mod_python import apache
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/mod_python/apache.py", line 67,
in ?
    import _apache
ImportError: No module named _apache

I am running Debian unstable. mod_python 3.0.4-2 on apache 2.0.48-4

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

- Jim