[mod_python] Some questions

Sébastien Arnaud arnaudsj at mac.com
Wed Dec 15 21:29:17 EST 2004

Hi Kevin,

I personally use Eclipse 3.0 (http://www.eclipse.org/). I have searched
a long time for a "dream" environment that can save me time and
Eclipse, even if not perfect, is the closest I found yet.

I recommend the following plugins (among the hundreds available)

- PYDEV (Python syntax validation and coloring, code refactoring, auto
completion, debugging)
http://pydev.sf.net/updates/

- Oxygen (commercial)
http://www.oxygenxml.com/InstData/Eclipse/site.xml
Amazing XML/XSLT editor that works within Eclipse. You can use it also
to edit HTML/XHTML files as well, it has auto completion, validation
built in and so much more. Well worth the money if you need to edit a
lot of HTML, XML files!

- Subclipse (Allows you to check in/out from Subversion repository)
http://subclipse.tigris.org/update
Eclipse has built in support for CVS, but I highly recommend moving to
SVN for source control as it addresses so many caveats that CVS had.

- SFTP
This way you can push live your files to your server(s) with one click,
compare the files on your live enviromnent, etc... Eclipse supports by
default FTP and WebDAV

It is true that Eclipse is a monster app (java based), definitely not a
small weight nice editor. But if you have the CPU power, the
environment is wonderful to work with and can save you a lot of time! I
work most of the time with other developers and sharing the same IDE to
develop is a blessing - Eclipse runs on pretty much any OS that has a
JVM.

Hope this helps!

Sébastien