[mod_python] mod_python Live examples

Nic Ferrier nferrier at tapsellferrier.co.uk
Tue Aug 17 10:36:25 EDT 2004

Miles said:

> But I _want_ to learn.  And I'd like to seperate the HTML and Python
> code so I can still rely on HTML designers who, unlike myself, know
> how to build nice looking pages.  And I'd like to use Python.  But I
> can't seem to get a platform working.
>
> I figure I need to use templating to seperate the HTML and Python
> code.  I've read Grisha's article at onlamp.com:
>
> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/python/2004/02/26/python_server_pages.html
>
> I suppose having lots of choices when it comes to templating if you
> know what you're doing, but for someone like me the choice is
> difficult: which _should_ I choose?  Being told "it depends on what
> you're doing" doesn't help because I'm not sure what I'm going to do,
> I'm still learning.  I'm leaning towards PSP because it's built-in to
> mod_python, so it seems to me it will become a standard way of
> templating because it's already there.
>
> Can any gurus out there help guide this neophyte? (wincing a bit as I
> click send in fear of a "RTFM" retaliation - I've read so much my
> eyeballs are beginning to glaze over)

I think one of the best ways to do templating is with XSLT. I find
that designers who understand XML can be quickly taught XSLT. It's
pretty natural and it's also quite common and not tied to one specific
language or operating system.

python and mod_python work well with XSLT.

If you're interested there are a couple of articles about it on my
website:

http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk/nics-articles/python-servlets.html
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk/nics-articles/python-pipe-helper.html

I hope to be writing more and maybe putting up some on www.onlamp.com