[mod_python] Problems compiling mod_python

Robert Geller robert at worksofmagic.com
Sat Aug 7 22:53:56 EDT 2004

Hello, I am running Fedora Core 2, Apache 2.0.51, Python 2.3.4, and I'm
trying to compile and install mod_python 3.1.3.

Note these are not RPMs and were compiled from source, so it's not a
question of having the sources.

When I try to make install mod python, I get the following errors at the
end:

Performing DSO installation.

/usr/bin/install -c -d /usr/local/apache/modules
/usr/bin/install -c src/mod_python.so /usr/local/apache/modules
/usr/bin/install: cannot stat `src/mod_python.so': No such file or
directory
make[1]: *** [install_dso] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/robert/mod_python-3.1.3'
make: *** [install] Error 2

I'm not sure if this is fairly common, or what I should do. Someone
help!

I've tried following the directions on
http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/2003-January/013320.html
to no avail...

What do you recommend I do? I don't know why it would fail while
compiling the .so...

Thanks.

P.S. -- I was root the entire time; I think you don't have to be / are
not supposed to be until you do make install... could this be why?

Robert Geller

robert at worksofmagic.com