R: [mod_python] Apache child process restarting under Win32 - imp ort errors

Manera, Villiam vmanera at manord.com
Fri Nov 21 18:00:18 EST 2003

we have had the same behavior with ':&'

Da: 	Cassiano, Marco
Inviato:	lunedì 16 giugno 2003 11.53
A:	'security at apache.org'
Cc:	'Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy'
Oggetto:	Apache 2.0.46 - Possible DOS with particularly crafted HREF

I would like to inform you of the behaviour of Apache when a link with a
particular HREF is clicked.

First of all, our configuration is :

Windows 2000 Server SP3
Apache 2.0.46
Mod-python 3.0.3
Active State Python 2.2.2

We have a python script that runs under mod-python which looks into the
database to find some articles and builds a table with the links to
"explode" each article and look into its details. This HTML table contains a
HREF for each article. Each HREF actually contains a call to another python
script that does the "explode" job. We pass the parameters to this script in
the usual "&" concatenation form.
It happened that one of the articles had a semicolon (";") as the final
character of its description
so the HREF was built in following way : "descriptionwithfinal;&next parm".
In other words the HREF contained the sequence ";&".
When we clicked on this link we got a "Page not found" error on the browser
but what really Apache did is the following (excerpt from error.log) :

[Fri Jun 13 10:58:02 2003] [notice] Parent: child process exited with status
3221225477 -- Restarting.